Connect with us

Sports

T20 World Cup: England could go with four spinners against India, says Collingwood

Published

on

New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) Former England captain Paul Collingwood believes the Jos Buttler-led side will play four spinners against India in the second semifinal of the T20 World Cup in Guyana on Thursday. The veteran cricketer said Adil Rashid is a “golden nugget” for England and will pose a challenge against Indian batters on a spin-friendly pitch at Providence Stadium amid the prediction of rain in the encounter.

“He is a golden nugget for the England cricket team. He comes on naturally in the sixth over, I think the one thing about Rashid is, that his wrong’uns seem to be so difficult to pick. And he’s got real good deception. Now in T20 cricket, deception is key. Whether it’s slower balls or being able to turn the ball both ways. And he is looking really comfortable at the moment. Indian batsmen generally play spin very well, but I think Adil Rashid, the way that he is bowling at the moment, we just have to wait and see what the conditions are like. There’s a chance that England could actually go with four spinners themselves,” Collingwood said during the Star Sports Press Room.

ALSO READ:  Golf: Tvesa Malik fourth after first day in South Africa

“Obviously, Moeen Ali and Liam Livingstone, who is actually an all-rounder who can bowl leg-spin and off-spin. And you never know, if the wickets are so dry, you can go with Will Jacks as well. So, plenty of options, but I think Adil Rashid is on top of his game, and this is the beauty of the World Cup. You’re gonna have a leg spinner now at the top of his game, confident, up against some of the best batters in the world. And that’s why it’s gonna be such a good spectacle, and we’re all down to see it,” he added.

On the other hand, former Australia spinner Brad Hogg said India would not bring Yuzvendra Chahal in the playing 11 and will stick to Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel and Kuldeep Yadav in the spin department.

“It’s a day game, so the wicket might be a little bit dry. But this is the good thing about the Indian squad—they’ve got depth in spin. They knew that when they got to the West Indies, they were going to play more spin than pace. But they’ve still got Siraj there that they can bring in, and they’ve got Hardik Pandya, so they’ve got more pace options if they want up their sleeve. Will they bring in Chahal? I wouldn’t bring in Chahal right now. I’d stick with Jadeja. You’ve got to stick with the playing XI that you’re going with,” Hogg said.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Steve Smith supports Virat Kohli's inclusion in T20 World Cup team

He added that Kuldeep and Axar will be crucial against left-handers while Jadeja would be a better option than Chahal if it’s not turning.

“I love the thought of the question, though. Chahal against England would be okay. But there are a couple of left-handers in the batting lineup for England as well, which could do a little bit of damage. Kuldeep Yadav has been bowling exceptionally well, and Axar Patel has been going well. Jadeja hasn’t been that flash, but he gives you so much in the field, as well as with the bat. And he’s a player that, in the right conditions, he can also lift with the ball. If it’s not turning and if it suits pace, I reckon Jadeja is a better option than Chahal as well. So, I’d stick with Jadeja,” Hogg added.

–IANS

ab/bsk/

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Jr Women, Men North Zone Hockey: Uttarakhand, Haryana emerge winners

Published

on

By

Jhansi, July 3 (IANS) Hockey Uttarakhand and Hockey Haryana won their respective matches in the women’s category while Delhi Hockey emerged victorious in the men’s category on Day 3 of the 2nd Hockey India Junior Women and Men North Zone Championship 2024 in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh, on Wednesday.

Hockey Uttarakhand win 24-0

In the day’s first fixture in the women’s section, Hockey Uttarakhand defeated Hockey Jammu & Kashmir 25-0. Aarti (22’, 43’, 48’, 49’, 53’, 56’), Neelam (4’, 22’, 44’, 52’, 59’) and Aarti were the standout performers of the game, scoring six and five goals respectively.

Ankita Mishra (7’, 36’, 39’. 47’), Raeen Kehkasha Ali (5’, 29’, 37’), and Saloni Pilkhwal (33’, 41’, 56’) also bagged hat-tricks, while Vansi (9’), Jyoti Mahara (41’), Babita Yadav (45’) Kavita (55’) scored a goal each.

Hockey Haryana defeat Delhi Hockey

In the second women’s encounter of the day, Hockey Haryana defeated Delhi Hockey 4-1. Ritika (9’, 23’) gave Haryana the lead and doubled her tally soon after. Pooja Malik (27’) and Sejal (35’) chipped in with a goal each as well. Captain Anshika (36’) was the only goal scorer for Delhi.

ALSO READ:  T20 World Cup: Rohit’s 57, Suryakumar’s 47 help India post 171/7 against England

Commanding win for Delhi Hockey

In the first men’s encounter, Delhi Hockey defeated Hockey Himachal 9-0. After an early green card, Bhanu (14’, 17’, 38’, 56’, 58’) led Delhi’s attack with five goals while he was supported by the efforts of Mohd Amir Chaudhary’s (26’, 32’) and goals from Rishu (10’) and Afridi (34’)

Later in the day, Hockey Haryana takes on Uttar Pradesh Hockey in the second men’s encounter.

In a late evening encounter on Tuesday, Hockey Chandigarh recorded a 13-1 victory against Hockey Jammu & Kashmir. Misbah Khan (8’, 28’, 30’, 49’) was the leading goal scorer for Hockey Chandigarh with four goals and Rishav (25’, 49’, 55’) scored a hattrick.

Amongst the other scorers were Pankaj Sharma (3’, 24’), Sukhmanpreet Singh (16’), Prince Singh (33’), Gurjeet Singh (41’), and Sukhpreet Singh (43’). Hockey Jammu & Kashmir’s sole goal was scored by Gurpreet Singh (19’).

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

National Motorcycle Racing: Spotlight trained on young guns in Round 2

Published

on

By

Chennai, July 3 (IANS) A new generation of young and hungry-for-success riders is expected to continue its progress through the ranks in the second round of the MMSC fmsci Indian National Motorcycle Racing Championship 2024 commencing at the Madras International Circuit, here on Thursday.

During last month’s Round 1 at the same venue, several talented teenagers, across categories, announced their arrival on the National stage, giving the established stars a run for their money, and in some instances, even overshadowing the seasoned lot.

The trend is likely to continue this action-packed weekend which will see 18 races besides 10 qualifying and 11 practice sessions with over 100 riders from across India lining up on various grids.

Even as the youngsters are creating a buzz in the paddock, title sponsors MRF Tyres, have decided to allocate slick tyres to the Pro-Stock 301-400cc Open category that should bring down the lap times. Incidentally, the other premier class, the Pro-Stock 165cc Open has also greatly benefitted from slick tyres in the past few seasons.

ALSO READ:  T20 World Cup: Rohit’s 57, Suryakumar’s 47 help India post 171/7 against England

The best demonstration of the new generation’s takeover is evident in these two highly competitive Pro-Stock categories. Two 17-year-old riders and TVS Racing team-mates, Sarthak Chavan from Pune and Bengaluru’s Chiranth Vishwanath have established themselves as the front-runners and pace-setters in both classes that contain very experienced riders who have been around for over a decade. The intense rivalry between the two is already the talk of the championship.

Another 17-year-old, Abdul Basim from Chennai, looks set to dominate the Novice (Stock 165cc) category, having won both the races in Round 1 ahead of much older riders.

In the other National Championship category, the Stock 301-400cc (Novice), Chennai youngster Kaushik Subbaiah Ganesan (RACR Castrol Power1 Ultimate) also enjoyed a good start to the season with a double in Round-1, from a big grid of 30 riders.

Down the field, a 15-year-old schoolgirl from Chennai, Rakshitha Dave, caused a sensation by winning both the Round-1 races in the Girls (Stock 165cc) category, defeating a couple of former National champions.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: ‘It was as loud as I've ever heard when MS walked out to bat,’ says Pat Cummins

Rakshitha also made her debut in the Honda India Talent Cup astride the super-quick NSF 250R bike, while sharing the grid with her twin brother, Rakshith, who won the first race and was third in the next outing last month.

Likewise, the TVS One-Make Championship organised by the promoters, Madras Motor Sports Club, has thrown up a few promising youngsters. Coimbatore’s Senthilkumar (Apache Open 310RR) and Bengaluru’s Harshith V. Bogar (Rookie, RTR 200) began their 2024 campaigns by notching a double apiece in their respective categories while Sarah Khan from Mumbai (Girls, RTR 200) looked dominant while winning the race in her class.

Chairman of the Event and Race Director Manoj P. Dalal felt that the 2024 season could be a breakthrough year for several young riders. “The Championship, over the years, has been a breeding ground for talent. We are very pleased that the 2024 season has already seen the emergence of a fresh crop of youngsters who hold out rich promise and we can look forward to an exciting year of highly competitive racing.”

ALSO READ:  Yashasvi gains big in ICC Test rankings after double ton in Rajkot

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Football: India to take on Vietnam, and Lebanon in Tri-Nation friendly tournament in October

Published

on

By

New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) The senior Indian men’s team will play a Tri-Nation friendly tournament in Vietnam during the October 2024 FIFA window. Apart from India and host Vietnam, the third team in the fray is Lebanon. Both Vietnam (116) and Lebanon (117) are placed ahead of India (124) in the latest FIFA rankings.

This will be the senior side’s first international appearance since their missed opportunity to go through to the third round of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers having lost against Asian Champions Qatar in the final game of the second round of the qualifiers.

The senior men’s side is currently without a manager after the relations between former Head Coach Igor Stimac and the All India Federation soured after the senior team failed to qualify for the third stage of qualifying. That resulted in the Croatian’s contract being terminated by the sport’s governing body ending a five-year tenure for Stimac.

ALSO READ:  Yashasvi gains big in ICC Test rankings after double ton in Rajkot

It will be the dawn of a new era for Indian football when they take the field for the very first time with whoever is appointed the new head coach of the team as the search is underway. They will also be without all-time top scorer Sunil Chhetri who played his final game for the national side in the 0-0 draw against Kuwait at the Salt Lake Stadium on June 6.

Fixtures:

October 9: Vietnam vs India

October 12: India vs Lebanon

October 15: Vietnam vs Lebanon

–IANS

aaa/bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Andy Murray to partner Raducanu in Wimbledon mixed doubles

Published

on

By

London, July 3 (IANS) Former World No.1 Andy Murray will partner fellow Grand Slam champion Emma Raducanu in the mixed doubles event at Wimbledon. The announcement came on Wednesday, confirming that the two British stars have accepted a wild card entry into the competition, which starts on Friday at the All England Club.

Andy Murray, who is also competing in the men’s doubles alongside his brother Jamie, is making his final appearance at the grass-court major. The 2013 and 2016 Wimbledon champion has had to withdraw from the singles draw due to his ongoing recovery from back surgery. Despite this, his participation in both doubles events ensures that he will play at least two matches during the tournament.

Raducanu, who burst onto the global tennis scene by winning the US Open in 2021 as an 18-year-old qualifier, has already progressed to the second round in the Wimbledon singles draw.

Reflecting on her admiration for Murray, Raducanu highlighted his meticulous preparation and dedication to the sport. “I think the biggest advice is just how he’s always taken care of his operations, how he manages his people. I haven’t really spoken to him so much,” she said after her first-round win.

ALSO READ:  T20 World Cup: Adil Rashid’s great variations, control is as good as I have seen it, says Hussain

“I think for me it’s just like watching him operate day to day, watching him be absolutely on it with everything. Even in practice now, he’s so on it to the minute.”

She added, “I think me, when I was a bit younger maybe, showing up 15 minutes before practice to do a few arm curls, swing my hand around and warm up, he’s there for an hour and a half doing treatment. He just sets really good examples.”

This will be Murray’s second foray into Wimbledon mixed doubles. In 2019, he teamed up with former World No. 1 Serena Williams, and the duo made it to the third round.

–IANS

hs/bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Ben Stokes declares England Test team will 'live forever' in memory of cricket fans

Published

on

By

New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) The England Test captain Ben Stokes has declared that his team ‘will be remembered forever’ by those fortunate enough to witness their brand of cricket.

“Everything we’ve done up until now isn’t going to stop because we haven’t managed to win the urn back. The reward for our work isn’t what we get but what we become. And what we have managed to do is we’ve managed to become a sports team that will live forever in the memory of people who were lucky enough to witness us play cricket,” Stokes was quoted as saying in the documentary ‘Ashes 2023 Our Take.”

The documentary has already garnered significant attention, notably for revealing English players’ candid opinions on the controversial stumping of Jonny Bairstow. Among the revelations, former captain Joe Root conceded that the Australian team’s actions were fair and that he might have acted similarly in their position.

ALSO READ:  T20 World Cup: South Africa maintain unbeaten run after beating England by seven runs

However, a particularly poignant clip has surfaced, capturing Stokes addressing his team in the Old Trafford dressing room after the fourth Test in Manchester, which was drawn due to rain, with the visitors leading 2-1, resulting in Australia retaining the Ashes urn. With the Aussies leading 2-1, England would not be able to win the urn even after playing the fifth Test which they did and the series was tied 2-2.

Stokes acknowledged the disappointment of not being able to reclaim the Ashes but urged his team to recognize the broader significance of their journey.

“I know it’s going to be a bit flat, I know it’s going to hurt that we go into the next game (at The Oval) not being able to get the urn back. But what we have done is something a lot bigger than any Ashes trophy could ever signify for this team –- be the team that everybody will always remember.”

ALSO READ:  Golf: Tvesa Malik fourth after first day in South Africa

The sentiment behind Stokes’ words is underscored by the context of England’s recent Ashes performances. The team has not won an Ashes series since 2015 and has not secured a Test match victory in Australia for 15 years. Despite these challenges, Stokes’ leadership has brought a new spirit to the side, with England winning four of their eleven Tests since the start of 2023.

In contrast, Australia have enjoyed significant success during the same period, including winning the ICC World Test Championship, retaining the Ashes in England, and clinching the World Cup.

–IANS

hs/bsk/

Continue Reading

Trending