Connect with us

Sports

T20 World Cup: Captain Assad Vala 'proud of PNG's fightback' in loss against West Indies

Published

on

Georgetown, June 3 (IANS) After failing to pull off an upset against West Indies (WI) in their T20 World Cup 2024 opener on Sunday, Papua New Guinea (PNG) captain Assad Vala reflected on the match, noting that with a few more runs towards the end, they could have challenged the hosts more fiercely.

PNG’s T20 World Cup opener against West Indies marked only their eighth encounter with a Full Member team. Despite the daunting opposition, PNG’s performance suggested they could pull off an upset. After posting 136 on the board, they had the West Indies in trouble at 97 for 5 in 16 overs. However, dreams of an upset were dashed as Andre Russell and Roston Chase steered the hosts West Indies to victory.

“I think batting as well, I think we didn’t play the crucial moments the way we wanted. They had batsmen towards the end, which we didn’t. I think we missed out on a few runs towards the end as well. But I think credit to them. They got a lot of experience. So, I think we played really well. We executed our skills really well.

ALSO READ:  2nd Test: Labuschagne saves Australia after Hazlewood, Starc bowl out New Zealand for 162

“We just couldn’t execute towards the end when we were put under pressure, but really happy with the overall performance of the boys. We didn’t post the target we wanted, but they fought till the end, so really happy with the effort,” said Vala.

After missing their chances to qualify in 2014 and 2016, PNG is now playing their second T20 World Cup in three years, having made their breakthrough in the UAE in 2021.

PNG’s innings saw early setbacks, with star batsman Tony Ura dismissed early and Vala falling for 21 to a stunning catch by Chase. Yet, Sese Bau’s determined 43-ball 50 and Kiplin Doriga’s late surge of 27 off 18 balls injected crucial momentum into their innings. Vala acknowledged the missed opportunities, particularly in the closing moments, but praised his team’s overall execution and fighting spirit.

“I think Sese Bau batted really well. And John Kariko, the left-arm spinner bowled really well. I think, Alei upfront with the new ball. There was a lot of stuff that we did really well. I think there are a lot of positives to take out from the game today. I think the overall performance was really good, but just the key moments that we just couldn’t put the nail in the coffin. But I think as I said before the effort was outstanding, we kept fighting against a really good side so happy, really happy,” added the PNG skipper.

ALSO READ:  Deepa Malik, Kazuhiro Yagi join APC Executive Board

The bowling attack, led by fast bowler Ale Nao, who dismissed Johnson Charles with his first delivery, kept PNG in contention. A controversial decision not to review an LBW shout against Nicholas Pooran cost PNG dearly, as replays later confirmed the ball would have hit the stumps. Pooran’s eventual run-a-ball 27 allowed the West Indies to stabilize before PNG’s spinners clawed back control.

Reflecting on the match, Vala highlighted the performances of Bau and Kariko, and noted the team’s overall strong display. He admitted that PNG’s inexperience with the Decision Review System (DRS) played a role in the missed review against Pooran, describing a chaotic scene akin to “street cricket” with mixed calls on whether to review or not.

“It’s a bit of a funny story. It was a bit like in street cricket, we don’t use a lot of DRS, so there was a lot of calls coming from everywhere – take it don’t, take it, take it, don’t take it. I didn’t know who to listen to but it is something we can learn from like I said we need to get the communication right when we [play] in the upcoming games,” he concluded.

ALSO READ:  Jemimah, Sajana, Priya in Board President XI squad for tour game against South Africa

–IANS

hs/bc

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Paris Olympics: PM Modi congratulates Manu Bhaker and Sarabjot Singh for bronze medal win

Published

on

By

Paris Olympics: PM Modi congratulates Manu Bhaker and Sarabjot Singh for bronze medal win

New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) Prime Minister, Narendra Modi congratulated Indian shooters, Manu Bhaker and Sarabjot Singh for clinching bronze medal in the 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team event at Paris Olympics 2024.

Prime Minister on ‘X’ wrote, “Our shooters continue to make us proud! Congratulations to @realmanubhaker and Sarabjot Singh for winning the Bronze medal in the 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team event at the #Olympics . Both of them have shown great skills and teamwork. India is incredibly delighted.”

Meanwhile, Manu Bhaker also etched her name into the annals of Indian sports history, becoming the first Indian woman to win multiple medals at a single Olympic Games. This achievement follows her earlier success, where she secured a bronze in the women’s 10m air pistol event, marking a significant milestone for Indian shooting.

–IANS

hs/

ALSO READ:  Deepa Malik, Kazuhiro Yagi join APC Executive Board
Continue Reading

Sports

Paris Olympics: Manu Bhaker and Sarabjot Singh clinch bronze in 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team event (Ld)

Published

on

By

Paris Olympics: Manu Bhaker and Sarabjot Singh clinch bronze in 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team event (Ld)

Chateauroux, July 30 (IANS) Indian shooters Manu Bhaker and Sarabjot Singh secured a bronze medal in the 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team event at the 2024 Paris Olympics. The duo showcased resilience and composure, overcoming a slow start to defeat South Korea 16-10 in a thrilling match on Tuesday.

The contest began with the Indian pair on the back foot, losing the first series. However, Bhaker and Singh quickly regained their footing, displaying exceptional skill and teamwork. They took control by the third series, leading 4-2, and extended their advantage to 8-2 after five series. South Korea mounted a comeback attempt, narrowing the gap to 6-10 by the eighth series, but Bhaker and Singh remained unflinching. The Indian shooters sealed the victory with a decisive 16-10 margin, securing India’s second medal of the Games.

After the match, an elated Bhaker expressed her gratitude, saying, “I feel really proud and have a lot of gratitude. Thank you so much for all the blessings and love. We can only control what is in our hands. I had a chat with my father regarding this before coming here and decided we should keep fighting till the last shot,” said to the broadcasters.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Rishabh Pant to miss DC’s clash against RCB due to slow-over rate suspension (Ld)

Sarabjot Singh, celebrating his first Olympic medal, echoed her sentiments. “It feels great. The game was tough, but we were glad we could do it. There was a lot of pressure, but the crowd was great,” he said, acknowledging the support that spurred them on. The pair had entered the bronze medal match after finishing third in the qualifying round with a combined score of 580.

This bronze is a historic personal achievement for Bhaker, who became the first Indian to win multiple medals at a single Olympic Games. She had previously opened India’s medal account in Paris with a bronze in the women’s 10m air pistol event.

–IANS

hs/

Continue Reading

Sports

Paris Olympics: 'I feel proud to able to achieve this feat', says Manu Bhaker on winning two medals in single edition

Published

on

By

Paris Olympics: 'I feel proud to able to achieve this feat', says Manu Bhaker on winning two medals in single edition

Chateauroux, July 30 (IANS) Shooter Manu Bhaker said she is feeling a lot of gratitude for achieving the feat of becoming first Indian athlete to win two medals at a single edition of the Olympics on Tuesday.

Manu and Sarabjot Singh clinched the bronze medal in the 10m Air Pistol Team event after registering a 16-10 victory over South Korea following 13 shots in the bronze medal playoff.

“I feel really proud. I feel a lot of gratitude to able to achieve this feat. It is just blessings. Thank you so much for all the blessings and love,” said Manu after the taking the historic bronze.

This was also Manu’s and India’s second medal at the Paris Games. She also has the chance to win a third medal when the 22-year-old features in the women’s 25m Pistol event.

In the bronze medal playoff, the South Korean team of Lee Wonho and Oh Ye Jin took the first series. The Indian duo, however, bounced back to lead 8-2. The contest took an exciting turn in the latter half as Korea managed to bounce back but India never looked like conceding their lead and sealed the victory.

ALSO READ:  2nd Test: Labuschagne saves Australia after Hazlewood, Starc bowl out New Zealand for 162

“Actually, we can’t control anything; we can just try to do our best. Before coming here also, me and my partner were like, okay let’s try our best and however it goes, we will accept, and we will just keep fighting till the last shot,” said Manu.

Overall, Manu became the third Indian — after wrestler Sushil Kumar and shuttler PV Sindhu — to win more than one individual medal in the Olympics.

Sarabjot Singh, who bagged his first Olympic medal, is now the sixth Indian shooter to win a medal at the Summer Games.

“There was lot of pressure and the crowd amazing , So, I am really happy,” said Sarabjot.

Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore — Athens 2004, Abhinav Bindra — Beijing 2008, Vijay Kumar — London 2012, Gagan Narang — London 2012, Manu Bhaker – Paris 2024 are the other shooters to have won medals at the Olympics.

–IANS

cs/bc

Continue Reading

Sports

Manu becomes first Indian woman to clinch two medals at single Olympic Games edition

Published

on

By

Manu becomes first Indian woman to clinch two medals at single Olympic Games edition

Chateauroux, July 30 (IANS) Chateauroux, July 30 (IANS) Manu Bhaker on Tuesday etched her name into the annals of Indian sports history. She became the first Indian woman to win multiple medals at a single Olympic Games.

The 22-year-old shooter clinched a bronze medal in the 10m pistol mixed team event alongside Sarabjot Singh, defeating South Korea 16-10 at the Paris Olympics.

This achievement follows her earlier success, where she secured a bronze in the women’s 10m air pistol event, marking a significant milestone for Indian shooting.

Bhaker’s double podium finish not only opens India’s medal tally at the 2024 Paris Olympics but also places her in an elite group of Indian athletes. She joins P.V. Sindhu as the only Indian women to win two Olympic medals. Sindhu, the celebrated badminton star, first made history at the Tokyo Olympics by winning a bronze medal after defeating China’s He Bingjiao 21-13, 21-15.

This added to her silver medal from the Rio Olympics, where she had a memorable run to the final, only to be bested by Spain’s Carolina Marin.

ALSO READ:  Punjab FC crowned winner of Dream Sports Championship after 1-0 win over East Bengal

In the mixed team event, Bhaker and Singh displayed exceptional composure and skill. The Indian duo faced off against a strong South Korean team in the bronze medal match, showcasing their precision and teamwork. Bhaker, known for her steady hand and focus, was instrumental in maintaining India’s lead throughout the match. Their victory, secured with a decisive 16-10 scoreline, underscored Bhaker’s prowess and resilience under pressure.

After narrowly missing out on medals at the Tokyo Olympics, Bhaker’s performance in Paris has been a testament to her resolve and improvement.

–IANS

cs/

Continue Reading

Sports

Paris Olympics: Vinesh Phogat approaches French Embassy for brother's visa

Published

on

By

New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) Two-time Olympian Vinesh Phogat has sought help from the Embassy of France in India and Sports Minister Manukh Mandaviya for a visa for her brother whose application was rejected earlier.

Vinesh earned the Paris Olympics quota in the women’s 50kg semifinal at the Asian Olympic qualifier. Taking to ‘X’ Vinesh wrote “Requesting @FranceinIndia to please grant a visa to my brother. He has submitted his second application on yesterday after his first visa application was rejected. It has been a lifelong dream to have my family watch me play at the Olympics. Need your help @mansukhmandviya sir.”

Earlier, Vinesh Phogat herself sought “urgent help” from Sports Minister Mansukh Mandaviya, the Ministry of External Affairs, and other authorities after her visa for Spain got delayed.

Indian wrestlers Antim Panghal (women’s 53kg) and Aman Sehrawat (men’s 57kg) have been seeded fourth and sixth in their respective weight categories. The remaining four Indian wrestlers — Vinesh Phogat (women’s 50kg), Anshu Malik (women’s 57kg), Nisha Dahiya (women’s 68kg) and Reetika Hooda (women’s 76kg) — will be unseeded at Paris 2024. They will be randomly drawn into brackets the day before the women’s freestyle wrestling begins in Paris.

ALSO READ:  Jemimah, Sajana, Priya in Board President XI squad for tour game against South Africa

–IANS

hs/

Continue Reading

Trending