Connect with us

National

Assam: Three die due to suffocation inside a well

Published

on

Silchar (Assam), May 20 (IANS) At least three persons succumbed due to suffocation inside a well in Assam’s Cachar district, officials said on Monday.

The incident happened in the Phoolertal area under Lakhipur Police Station in the Cachar district.

The deceased have been identified as Monojit Deb (35), Prosenjit Deb (28) and Amit Sen (27). Police said that Monojit and Prosenjit are siblings while Amit is their neighbour.

“We have been utilising the well for drinking water. However, a hen fell inside it and Monojit Deb wanted to clean the well and take out the carcass of the hen,” the family members of the deceased said adding that Prosenjit Deb and Amit Sen went inside the well to rescue Monojit, but unfortunately, they did not come out of alive.

Sankar Deb, younger brother of deceased Monojit Deb said, “We cleaned the well once, but at around 8 PM on Sunday, my brother saw something inside and tried to bring it out, but he fell unconscious immediately after going down.”

ALSO READ:  Austrian-made assault rifle recovered from slain terrorists in J&K’s Keran

He added, “They may have been exposed to some poisonous gas because the well was deep.”

The Superintendent of Police (SP) for the Cachar district, Numal Mahatta, rushed to the scene and promptly contacted the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF).

Mahatta said that the unconscious people were pulled out from the well by the SDRF and brought to the Silchar Medical College and Hospital (SMCH), where the doctors declared them brought dead.

“As per the preliminary findings, they may have suffocated to death,” the police officer added.

–IANS

tdr/dan

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Defence Ministry: Year 2025 will be year of reforms

Published

on

rajnath singh with armed forces chief

On Wednesday, the Defence Ministry announced that 2025 will be designated as the “Year of Reforms,” with a primary focus on establishing integrated theatre commands to enhance collaboration among the three branches of the military.

These reforms are aimed at transforming the armed forces into a technologically advanced, combat-ready force capable of executing multi-domain integrated operations, the ministry stated.

The initiative will emphasize emerging domains such as cyber and space, alongside cutting-edge technologies like artificial intelligence, machine learning, hypersonics, and robotics.

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh described the “Year of Reforms” as a pivotal milestone in the modernization of the armed forces.

“It will set the stage for significant advancements in the nation’s defense capabilities, ensuring the security and sovereignty of India in the face of 21st-century challenges,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Manish Sisodia pays visit to Hunaman Temple, Mahatma Gandhi memorial
Continue Reading

National

A 3.2 magnitude tremor struck Gujarat’s Kutch district on Wednesday morning

Published

on

A 3.2 magnitude tremor struck Gujarat’s Kutch district on Wednesday morning, according to the Institute of Seismological Research (ISR).

The district administration reported no casualties or property damage following the quake.

The tremor occurred at 10:24 am, with its epicenter located 23 kilometers north-northeast (NNE) of Bhachau, as per the Gandhinagar-based ISR.

Last month, the region experienced four seismic events exceeding a magnitude of 3, including a 3.2 magnitude tremor just three days ago, with its epicenter also near Bhachau.

Earlier tremors in the area included a 3.7 magnitude earthquake on December 23 and a 3.2 magnitude event on December 7, according to ISR reports.

Kutch was also jolted by a 4.0 magnitude earthquake on November 18, 2024. On November 15, a 4.2 magnitude quake hit Patan in north Gujarat, based on ISR data.

Gujarat is considered a high-risk earthquake zone, having experienced nine major earthquakes over the past 200 years, according to the Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority (GSDMA). The 2001 earthquake in Kutch, which occurred on January 26, was the third-largest and second-most destructive in India in the last two centuries, according to the GSDMA.

ALSO READ:  Torrential rains lash Mumbai, parts of Maha; schools shut in Nagpur
Continue Reading

National

Diljit Dosanjh faces legal action over concert songs

Published

on

Singer and actor Diljit Dosanjh’s much-anticipated New Year’s Eve concert in Ludhiana faced legal hurdles after a complaint was filed by Punditrao Dharenavar, an assistant professor from Chandigarh.

Following the complaint, the Deputy Director of the Women and Child Department, Government of Punjab, issued a formal notice to Ludhiana’s District Commissioner, urging them to prohibit Dosanjh from performing specific songs during his live show on December 31, 2024.

The notice specifically targets songs accused of promoting alcohol, including Patiala Peg, 5 Tara Theke, and Case (Jeeb Vicho Feem Labbiya), even if the lyrics are slightly modified. The complaint points to previous warnings issued to Dosanjh by various commissions advising against performing these controversial tracks.

Despite these warnings, the singer allegedly continues to perform the songs with minor alterations. Dharenavar raised serious concerns about the influence of such music on young audiences, especially when minors are present at live events.

Adding to the controversy, Dharenavar referenced a 2019 Punjab and Haryana High Court ruling, which directed law enforcement to ensure that songs promoting alcohol, drugs, or violence are not played at public events, including concerts. This ruling underscores the legal basis for the complaint and has further intensified the scrutiny surrounding the event.

ALSO READ:  Torrential rains lash Mumbai, parts of Maha; schools shut in Nagpur
Continue Reading

National

UP Minister’s convoy overturns, 5 person injured

Published

on

UP Minister’s convoy overturns, 5 person injured

Five people sustained injuries when a vehicle in the convoy of Uttar Pradesh Minister and Nishad Party chief Sanjay Nishad overturned into a ditch near Januan village in the Khejuri Police Station area of Ballia district late last night.

Sanjay Nishad shared details of the incident, stating that the accident injured five party workers, including four women.

“I was traveling with the convoy to participate in the Constitutional Rights Yatra organized by the party on Tuesday night. Near Januan village in the Khejuri area, one of the vehicles following the convoy lost control while trying to avoid an animal and overturned into a ditch,” Nishad explained.

The injured individuals have been identified as Rakesh Nishad, Ramrati, Usha, Geeta, and Iravati Nishad.

Senior police and administrative officials quickly arrived at the scene following the incident to oversee the situation.

ALSO READ:  Manish Sisodia pays visit to Hunaman Temple, Mahatma Gandhi memorial
Continue Reading

National

Suchir Balaji’s mother alleges Murder

Published

on

Suchir Balaji’s mother alleges Murder

The mother of Suchir Balaji, a 26-year-old former OpenAI researcher found dead after accusing the company of copyright violations, has alleged that her son was “murdered” and called for a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) probe.

Poornima Rao, Suchir’s mother, claimed her son’s death was a “cold-blooded murder” that authorities wrongly ruled as suicide. She further disclosed that a private autopsy report conflicted with the findings of the initial police investigation.

Rao alleged that her son’s apartment had been “ransacked” and cited evidence of a struggle in the bathroom, including bloodstains that suggested he had been assaulted.

“We hired a private investigator and conducted a second autopsy to uncover the truth. The private autopsy does not confirm the cause of death stated by the police. Suchir’s apartment was ransacked, there were signs of a struggle in the bathroom, and it appears he was hit based on blood spots. This is a cold-blooded murder being misclassified as a suicide. Lobbying in San Francisco won’t deter us from seeking justice. We demand an FBI investigation,” Rao wrote on X.

ALSO READ:  MUDA scam: K’taka BJP releases 'documents' on CM Siddaramaiah's role, seeks CBI probe

Elon Musk reacted to Rao’s post, commenting, “This doesn’t seem like a suicide.”

Balaji was discovered dead in his San Francisco apartment months after accusing OpenAI of violating copyright laws during the development of ChatGPT, as reported by Fox News. Despite these claims, the San Francisco Police Department found no evidence of foul play and ruled the death a suicide.

On October 24, shortly before his death, Balaji voiced doubts about the “fair use” defense in generative artificial intelligence. “I recently participated in a NYT story about fair use and generative AI, and why I’m skeptical ‘fair use’ would be a plausible defense for a lot of generative AI products,” he wrote on X.

Continue Reading

Trending